Friday, October 9, 2009

What's Left in the Garden?

I'm feeling a little bummed about the weather on account of my garden. Tomatoes just don't taste the same when they're picked in 40 or 50 degree weather. And now there's potential snow and highs in the 30s and 40s on the horizon.

Oh- I HATE trying to decide if I need to pick the green tomatoes yet. If it really is going to snow, you can count on plenty of green tomato recipes over the weekend, though.

Here are some garden crops that won't be finished with the cool weather:

The Bay tree! This gorgeous little tree is coming inside which means I'll have some greenery over the winter. The leaves are perfect for tossing in with beans and soups.


Beets! As long as the ground's not frozen, these will be happy. Of course, the greens are susceptible to frost so I may be eating beet greens this week.

Kale! Kale tastes the best after the first frost, so I'm looking forward to several more weeks of fresh kale and then a winter's worth out of my freezer. I planted more lacinato variety this year (in the foreground) than the green curly kind (in the background).

There's also some broccoli left that's still producing and even some green beans!

7 comments:

Carlota said...

nice beets! When my father have those in th garden, I like to eat them raw in salads when they are small.

The Voracious Vegan said...

I am so jealous of your gorgeous garden! Especially that kale and the beets, two of my favorite things!

Catherine Weber said...

That kale looks gorgeous! And I love beets so much . . . I may pick up a giant mountain of root veggies this weekend and just roast 'em all up with some tofu! Yum.

gwgjoan said...

I had such a sad gardening year this year. The extra cold and rain early in the summer did a number on many of my plants. I'm about to get about a bushel of green peppers though..so somethings grew.

Anonymous said...

I am so enamored of your kale field! Mmmm, kale...

Zoey said...

Those beets look beautiful. How do you freeze your kale? I would love to be able to freeze some of the awesome kale we get in the winter for smoothies.

Eileen said...

Wow! I continue to be totally jealous of your garden. Kale!