Monday, October 12, 2009

Overnight Seitan

Does anyone else have the "Cooking with PETA" cookbook on their bookshelf? I forget about it from time to time, but it really does have some rockin' recipes... Like Bryanna Clarke Grogan's Beefy Seitan Roast!

This seitan is so ridiculously easy and it's also some of the best tasting seitan I've had. My favorite part about the recipe is that it gives instructions for the oven or for a slow cooker. I LOVE mixing up the seitan dough at night, covering it in the flavorful broth, throwing in some onion and carrot and then waking up to the amazing smells of a seitan roast in the morning!

Before (Those are big onion chunks, in case you're wondering)

After- A big hunka seitan love

Sliced up and just begging to be put on a sandwich

I ate some of the roast this morning and sopped up the broth with hot buttered toast. Yum! I also made some broth yesterday, so there might be some seitan and dumplings coming up this week- We'll see!

6 comments:

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I do! It was my very first vegan cookbook! I was actually looking through it the other day for the stroganoff recipe I used to make all the time. I think I'll make it again soon...it's been years. I've never made the roast, though. Looks great!

The Voracious Vegan said...

I have to get my hands on that cookbook, this looks awesome! I bet that thinly sliced seitan tastes delicious stacked high on a sandwich. YUM!

Anonymous said...

How cool is that?! I would love to make seitan in the crock-pot all day while I am at work! I don't have the cookbook, but now I think I am gonna have to try to find that recipe somehow...

Courtney

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting about this, I have the book but have never cooked anything out of it! I think I will get that roast cooking sometime this week and I'm already looking forward to leftovers in sandwiches!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Woah. I have to try that slow cooker seitan!

Amy said...

Mmm I need this recipe!!! That is one awesome looking roast!