Saturday, October 17, 2009

Smashed Sandwiches

There's just something about a smashed grilled sandwich. You know what I mean- When you press a sandwich in a skillet with the back of a spatula until all the insides start to ooze out.

Somehow it just makes it taste better. Forget a fancy panini press, I'll just smash my sandwiches. (Note: I'm just kidding . I would love a panini press).

Here are 2 sandwiches I ate this week. I predict there is another one in my future tonight.

Like this roasted seitan sandwich with Tofutti cream cheese on rye bread.


And this seitan reuben with 1,000 island dressing made from habanero ketchup and homemade pickles with Veganaise. And fake cheese and lots of sauerkraut.

Here's the inside shot of the kids' birthday cake. I have to confess that I've had cake with breakfast, lunch, and dinner today. But I'll eat better tomorrow...because the cake will be gone by then.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Mmm I love squished sandwiches!! I can't believe I've never had a seitan reuban before! Yours looks delicious! I must make one soon!

And I love your cake. Yum!

Susan said...

I love grilled sandwiches, but have never thought of squishing them before! Give me a spatula, stat!

Catherine Weber said...

Cake looks amazing! I know that bottom layer is peanut butter, but the whole thing still makes me think of neapolitan ice cream!

aTxVegn said...

Toasted sandwiches are so good! I need to get my little sandwich maker out soon.

Your cake looks awesome.

Jess Speer said...

Liz! I'm catching up on weeks and weeks of posts, so I'm a little late to this party, but I have a panini maker that I never use. If you'll pay the shipping, I'll gladly send it out to you. I owe you for many, many delicious meals, and could really really use the space in my city kitchen. Let me know!

-Jess