Friday, October 2, 2009

Baked After Work

When I was leaving work today it was raining and cold and I was hungry and tired. If there was ever a "mac 'n cheese night", this was it.


Baked Cheezy Pasta with Mushrooms
I like this baked mac 'n cheeze because you don't have to pre-cook the pasta. You can just throw everything in the oven!
(Gluten free)

Olive oil for greasing pan
16 oz. dry gluten free pasta (small shapes like shells are preferable)
3/4 lb. cremini mushrooms (about 16), sliced
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance margarine
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 c nondairy milk
1/2 c plain nondairy yogurt
2 cups water
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. salt
Plenty of freshly ground black pepper
Pinch turmeric
Faux parmesan (I like Parma! brand), optional

Preheat the oven to 400F. Lightly grease a 9x11 inch glass baking dish with olive oil. Pour uncooked pasta in the baking dish and top with the sliced mushrooms.

Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the Earth Balance and garlic and saute until margarine is melted and garlic is fragrant. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients (except faux parmesan) by whisking until no lumps remain. Then add to the saucepan with the garlic and margarine and whisk to combine.

Remove the sauce from heat and pour over the pasta and mushrooms. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then stir pasta and mushrooms together, making sure
everything is coated in sauce. Replace foil and bake another 10 minutes. Sprinkle with faux parmesan before serving.

I served this super easy dish with baked sweet potatoes and tofu coated in the "buttermilk" and cornmeal breading leftover from last night's fried pickles. I baked this tofu, though, instead of frying it and it was seriously just as crispy. I tossed the tofu and sweet potatoes on a greased cookie sheet and baked for about 40 minutes while the pasta baked.

9 comments:

Ashley Gibson said...

Yum!! Nothing like some good comfort food

The Voracious Vegan said...

Oh there is nothing like some good ol' mac and no cheese. This looks amazing, I've never tried doing it all in the oven before, thanks for the recipe.

Catherine Weber said...

Even though I'm not the hugest fan of nutritional yeast, that looks so creamy and delicious! Is it super-yeasty tasting?

Tami said...

Yummy looking mac and cheeze!

gwgjoan said...

No precooking the macaroni? I need to try this recipe.

Anonymous said...

Yum! A meal like that is perfect now that it's cooler outside.

Mike K said...

You're so right - mac and cheez is the ideal comfort food. This looks great, and I love the idea of cooking the pasta along with everything else. Awesome sides too.

Susan said...

I love the look of this. Mac and 'cheese' is one of my favourite comfort foods, and I'm on a mission to try all the different versions!
I like the mushrooms added as well. You cannot go wrong with mushrooms.

Carl M. said...

I'm totally gonna try this!! Thanks.