Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cake!

It's that time again, folks. It's the day that the kids get to choose the birthday cake of their dreams. Every year I ask the boys to design their own cake- then I bake it.

I was feeling pretty under the weather today (and since it was sleeting most of the day, that's pretty low), but after several hours of CSI on Netflix, Chinese food delivered to my door and chocolate peanut butter cups, I'm feeling better. Well enough to bake a cake anyways-

Szechuan Eggplant and Cashew Mock Duck from Grand Shanghai

This year the boys went non-traditional...No Chocolate! It's hard to believe, but they decided that they'd never had a vanilla cake and wanted to give it a chance. Along with peanut butter. And strawberries. So they decided on one peanut butter layer with peanut butter frosting, one strawberry layer with strawberry frosting and then a vanilla layer with vanilla frosting over the whole thing.

The nude shot

I think they'll like it. It's basically a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a ridiculously large amount of sugar. I used some of my Damson plum jam to add color to the strawberry buttercream layer because my strawberry jam and strawberry extract added plenty of flavor but not that hot pink color that strawberry frosting really needs.

It looks a little plain, but I think the boys will like it! We're hanging at Grandma and Grandpa's tomorrow evening and partying hard with pizza and cake. Yay!

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

I think they'll like it too! I know I would. It looks great!

Sophia said...

What a neat idea for a cake, non traditional, nice change to chocolate. Looks yummy!
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

Ricki said...

That flavor combination sounds amazing, even to this die-hard chocolate fan! Hope we get to see the inside view once you slice it. :)

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

mmm your icing looks delicious and perfect-completely crumb-free!