Thursday, January 1, 2009

First Breakfast of the New Year


Well, I started this new year off by sleeping 11 hours- until noon!  At least I stayed up until midnight on New Year's Eve.  Sometimes I only make it until 11pm.  I do love my sleep!

Once I enjoyed my morning routine of feeding the animals and bribing crazy barking Hannah dog back into the house with banana pieces, I got to work on making a rocking good breakfast.


This is a variation on the wheat free corn cakes I made for Christmas breakfast.  Except...I undid the whole local thing by serving them with California spinach, avocados, and jarred roasted organic red peppers.  Oh, well!  These cakes are super versatile- they can be sweet like pancakes or savory!

I just wilted some onions and spinach in the cast iron skillet after the corn cakes were all cooked and tossed together some avocado chunks with 1 roasted red pepper, a little cilantro, minced onion and salt.  This felt like a pretty darn healthy brunch with the good avocado fat, spinach, and whole grain flours in the corn cakes.  

Now I've got to run to the co-op to pick up some black eyed peas!  How could I have forgotten to get them yesterday?  That was a close call.  I've eaten black eyed peas on New Year's Day for as long as I can remember.  I remember one year when we ran out of black eyed peas at the co-op and I had to go from store to store trying to find one that was open on NY day!  I'm just a little superstitious...

5 comments:

foodfashionfun said...

I've never heardf of making pancakes into something salty, neat idea!

ŀĀŘ¡ŝ∫Á said...

happy new year!

Tara said...

The savory pancakes look great! My mom often makes potato soup with savory pancakes, which are delicious. Happy New Year!

Liz² said...

oh, that breakfast sound smashing. I can't wait to see what you do with the black-eyed beans, too.
happy new year liz!

Erin said...

Savory corn cakes for breakfast sounds really good! I've found that I definitely like veggies for breakfast when I can manage it.