Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Gluten-Free Pizza Vibe

Mike and I don't exactly think alike, but sometimes we're on the exact same wavelength.  Thursday night was a great example.  I read Gluten Free Girl's blog post about her gluten free boule and immediately started mixing up the dough.  As it was rising in the oven, Mike called from work to ask if there was any way I could start a gluten free pizza crust so that he could make pizza when he got home.  I got to say, "It's already in the oven, honey!"

It turns out that the dough is tasty as a crusty boule OR a pizza crust.  Here's the play-by-play:

I used a bit of waxed paper to flatten the dough out on a parchment covered baking sheet.  This dough was much easier to work with than my usual pizza dough.  It's dotted with sun-dried tomatoes and dried rosemary from my garden.

Then I added Muir Glen pizza sauce (my favorite pre-made variety) and big handfuls of spinach.

Next came thinly sliced portobello mushroom, thinly sliced sweet onion and peppadew peppers

Last, a bit of Vegan Gourmet cheese.  Cheddar, because that's what was in the fridge.

The finished pizza!  The cheese definitely didn't melt this time, probably because it just didn't need to cook very long.  I probably could have broiled it, but I didn't want to delay the pizza-eating.  The crust and the peppadew peppers really made this something special.  Mike recommended more herbs next time and I agree- I couldn't taste all that rosemary in the dough!

Here's the other half of the dough, made into a little free-form loaf.  I topped it with my favorite hibiscus salt because purple salt is always pretty.  Mike was so excited to have GF bread to eat the next day!

No comments: