Sunday, September 28, 2008

Beans for Breakfast


Here's one of my "beans for breakfast" crockpot recipes:

2 cups dry cannellini beans, soaked 8 hours and drained
6-8 cups water or broth
2 bouillon cubes (omit if using broth)
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, thickly sliced
3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
2 Tbsp. fresh oregano, minced
Black pepper to taste
salt to taste 
6 large sage leaves, minced
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar

I used 1 regular Rapunzel herb bouillon cube and one "no salt added" cube and enough water to cover the soaked beans by about an inch.  I just put everything except the salt, sage, and balsamic vinegar into the crockpot and cooked on high for 10 hours.   Then, after making sure the beans were plenty tender, I added the minced sage and balsamic vinegar.  Then I added salt to suit my tastes.  It ended up being about a teaspoon. 

The beans can be served as a soup or just as beans with a bit of amazing broth, depending on how much water/broth you added.  I like it as a soup for breakfast, sopped up with some homemade bread!

1 comment:

Alicia said...

I can only eat sweet things for breakfast, but these sound like a great lunch to me!