Tuesday, August 26, 2008

When life gives you squash...

What the heck do you make?

I am the lucky recipient of a whole case of locally grown, organic yellow summer squash. I need to preserve it somehow. I've read that summer squash and zucchini are best preserved in the freezer, but I just don't believe that they won't turn to mush. And I don't want to can just plain ole squash in water/lemon. I'm not sure I'd ever use it. So what should I make?

Last night I used about 1/4 of the squash to make 5 quarts of summer squash soup. It's just a simple soup of onions, garlic, squash, and veg. broth. It's light and summery- I think it'll be perfect for a quick meal this winter.

But summer squash preserving recipes are few and far between. And making sweet jam with them doesn't appeal to me (plus, I have a lot of jam!)
I'm thinking about a corn/summer squash salsa because you can never have too much salsa.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When I have too many courgettes (zucchini) I use my food processor to shred it and freeze it in batches the right size to make muffins or bread.

You're right, it does go mushy in the freezer, but if you use it for baked goods it doesn't really matter.

Good luck finding a use for the rest of it, the soup sounds great!

Erin said...

I have no idea about preserving squash, but it's cool that you got it for free!