Sunday, March 7, 2010

Thai-Inspired Popcorn

I have a popcorn hangover today.  Last night I went to a popcorn party, which is exactly what it sounds like: A party where there's lots of popcorn.  This idea deserves to be stolen!

There was air popped and stove popped corn.  Popcorn in paper bags, in bowls, in soup pots.  Popcorn with butter, popcorn with margarine, popcorn with coconut oil, popcorn with sesame oil, popcorn with lemongrass-infused olive oil.  Popcorn balls and candied popcorn shaped like cupcakes.  And there was plenty of nutritional yeast, garlic, cayenne, and every other popcorn topping you can think of!  I'm feeling a bit dehydrated today.

Apologies for the dark, little picture.  

My contribution was a Thai-inspired popcorn.  Here's how you can make it...Approximately.  I didn't measure, so I won't pretend like I did.  I'll give you some proportions, though.

Thai-Inspired Popcorn
Popped corn (Try popping in coconut oil!)
Olive oil (I had some lemongrass-infused olive oil, which was very nice.  You can infuse some oil and make this popcorn much later when it's done or just do it with regular olive oil now).
Lime juice
Garlic-chile sauce (Rooster sauce would work)
Sea salt
Dried powdered ginger
Dried galangal (optional)

 Put your popped corn in a big bowl with room to toss it around.  In a little cup, whisk together equal parts of olive oil and lime juice.  Add in a generous splash of chile sauce, depending on your tastes.  I only had about 1/3 of a cup of this total mixture for about 1.5 gallons of popped corn.  Don't overdo it!  Whisk again and drizzle over popcorn, tossing frequently to evenly distribute.  With a mortar and pestle, grind together equal parts of ginger and sea salt.  Add about 1/2 as much galangal and grind again.  You want the salt to be very fine so that it will stick to the corn well.  Sprinkle over the popcorn and toss until distributed evenly.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

liz, i just looked at all of your blogs i have missed and got SOOOOOOOO hungry and jealous of your household. Yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you do it? You are amazing. I can not wait to cook all of these things (if i can). joe and i will be home in April! Maybe game night? do those still exist? see you soon!!

Unknown said...

Hi Liz! This is Hannah, who quizzed you about the co-op's management structure earlier this year. Jesse is a classmate of mine and recommended your blog. I love popcorn and I love your idea here. Mmm, garlic chili sauce...