Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ho-Hum

I need some inspiration in the kitchen.  I'm feeling a little ho-hum about my usual meals and I need something new.  This week I plan on making Jae Steele's Fettuccini No-Fredo and Sesame Kale Soba (from Get it Ripe) to switch it up a bit.

Things have been kinda stressful lately and food has been more of an obligation and necessity than a "hobbery".  I don't do too well with making big decisions because I think about things from too many angles and over-analyze my instincts.  And even after making a decision I dwell on whether it was the right one or not.  I'm transitioning to a new position at my co-op at the end of the month and I'm pretty excited about the change.  Instead of Education and Special Projects Manager, I'll be the Education and Consumer Affairs Manager (or something like similar).  

I know, I know.  You still have no freakin' clue what that means, right?  Basically I'll get to do more big picture work- Making sure the consumers have a good experience in our stores and learn something about food and/or the co-op's values while they're there.  And I'll have fewer random projects.  And I'll get to be in charge of the previously separate Education/Marketing/Demo departments, so I think it'll be pretty awesome to coordinate this work to have a bigger impact.  A big impetus for this switcheroo is that my buddy Darci is leaving the co-op to go to school in San Fran and we'll have to get someone new to take her position (sad for us, happy for her!).  I love change, but it still stresses me out a bit!

Anyways, I taught a couple classes this week: Homebrew sodas and Gluten Free Baking. Got a big surprise with the GF Baking class: My registration was 8 people two days before the class, but the class got listed in the paper and jumped up to 16 the day of the class!  Surprise!  Luckily, we still had enough food and the brownies were a seriously big hit!  I'll post the recipe soon!  

I'll leave you with a photo of some biscuit pinwheels that I made last week.  I just prepared the Baking Powder Biscuits from Vegan with a Vengeance, spread one side with fun toppings and then cut into thin strips and rolled them up.  I tried sun-dried tomato pesto, salt & pepper, and cinnamon-walnut (not together).  These were pretty fun, but I think I still like plain biscuits better.


5 comments:

Catherine Weber said...

I have totally been feeling ho-hum about cooking and meal planning lately, too. I've been checking cookbooks out from the library for inspiration, but that's only helped a little bit -- I blame the weather! There's NOTHING fresh! NOTHING in season! Everything's EXPENSIVE! Ah. Soon enough, the FM will be back, right?

jessy said...

i have also been feeling kinda "eh" in the kitchen lately. i just can't seem to think of anything fun and creative so i'm just kinda going with familiar, quick, 'n easy. i do the same with decisions, also with after make 'em too. but dan always tells me, "worrying and over-analyzing won't do ya much good, Jessy." and he's right, it's just so hard not to sometimes. your new position sounds rock'n though - and not having lots of random projects sounds good. i do a lot of that at my job and there are many, MANY days when i wish i had certain projects that were more consistent and tied together and such. most days i feel like i'm getting pulled in too many directions. but anyways...... very rock'n on the fantastical turn-out for your cooking class, Liz - and i look forward to the gluten-free brownie recipe. yay!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, please do post that brownie recipe--I love brownies! Yum :-)

It is hard this time of year in MN! local produce is pretty much zero and we need some inspiration...hopefully soon enough spring will come and the farmers markets will open and we can all get excited about cooking again :-)

Courtney

Emily Noble said...

OOOh yummy!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the new position!