Saturday, March 27, 2010

Gardein Strips and Kale Chips


Sometimes I need food really fast (but not fast food).  Today I was famished after grocery shopping, so I headed home and popped some of these Gardein strips into the toaster oven.  I first heard about these strips in The Conscious Cook by Tal Ronnen.   These are pretty new at the co-op and so far I've only moderately enjoyed their products.  I thought the buffalo style nuggets were weird and the sauce was like overly spiced ketchup.  

These strips are really tasty, though!  While not organic, they do use non-GMO soy and I can recognize and pronounce every single ingredient listed on the package! These are great when you need some serious protein really quickly.


I served them with homemade ketchup and kale chips.  If you haven't made kale chips before, then go get a bunch of kale right now and preheat your oven to about 450.  Rip off the stem of the kale and lay it in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Spray with olive oil and drizzle with tamari, Bragg's or umeboshi plum vinegar.  Or sprinkle with salt.  Then bake for about 6-10 minutes or until the kale is crispy.  Then sit yourself down and eat an entire bunch of kale.  This is so quick and so easy.  I think even kale-haters would love these chips.

3 comments:

Woobie is Vegan said...

yay - I love these strips!! I think they are the best vegan nugget/chikn tender around.

I also agree that the buffalo wings are weird...but not entirely bad. My boyfriend really likes them but I was expecting something more like these breaded strips.

Debra said...

Looks awesome!
Debra @ Vegan Family Style
PS There is a giveaway on my blog- ends in a few days.. check it out!

Joyfulgirl415 said...

ah man! I didn't notice this in time. I just had some kale that I didn't know what to do with. Now I have to get more!