Tuesday, March 30, 2010

How Many Meals?

If you asked me in the past how many meals I eat per day, I probably would have said, "About 4."  That's not true, though.  Apparently, I eat about 10 times a day.

I started writing down everything I ate over this past weekend because I was trying to figure out a pattern to why I've been getting headaches and a few other weird symptoms lately.  I thought maybe I wasn't eating a balanced diet and was getting too much sugar and my blood sugar levels were crashing and making me feel bad.  While I've been making a conscious effort to eat better this past week, I know that writing things down skews it even further.  But I've been eating when I'm hungry and trying to eat better.  And that means eating 10 times a day, I guess.  

Here are some of my mini-meals over the past weekend:

Apple and whole grain toast with 1/2 avocado
4 Gardein strips and 1 bunch kale chips
Wild rice salad
Peanut and dulse snack mix and an applesauce cookie
Polenta/black bean bowl
Fattoush salad
Wasa crackers with white bean spread
Pea Soup and wild rice salad

Pretty good, huh?!  I'm not consciously trying to NOT eat anything, just trying to eat more fruits and veggies and while grains.  So far, no headache!

How often do you eat?

2 comments:

Catherine Weber said...

Liz, I eat a lot of mini-meals, too. During the work week, I eat breakfast at home, occasionally a second breakfast when I get to work, lunch, 3:00 snack, and depending on when we have dinner, either another snack when I get home and then dinner, or dinner and maybe a snack later. Sometimes I also have a snack at 5:00 or 5:30.

Weekends, I eat less -- maybe only 4 times per day. But that afternoon "snack" is usually pretty hefty!

I think when you eat a diet rich in whole foods and fiber, it's really hard to eat enough calories in only three meals per day. Hence, grazing! Plus, I don't know about you, but I'm pretty active during my day, which seems to keep my metabolism going.

Julia said...

Glad I'm not alone. We have several breakfasts, and we are not hobbits. A few lunches, but thankfully only one dinner.