Sunday, December 27, 2009

Breakfasts and My Favorite Gift


Wow- This week flew by, filled with relaxation and goofing off...and good food!

Mike and I spent Christmas morning together before the kids came over.  We ate a rockin' breakfast and then I worked a jigsaw puzzle while he played banjo- fun!

Breakfast was spicy roasted potatoes, scrambled tofu topped with avocado and home-canned garlicky tomatoes, and roasted portabello mushrooms.  And I had an organic mimosa- a super rare treat.



I think my favorite Christmas present might be the stainless steel drinking straws that Mike got me.  I prefer drinking nearly every cold beverage from a straw, with the only exception being carbonated drinks (then it's glass bottles, all the way).  But plastic is nasty and I end up washing and reusing them so many times that I worry about the plastic degrading and leaching more nasty endocrine-disruptors into my food.  Perfect solution- Stainless steel straws!


Here's Billie Cat enjoying the sunshine while I mix up a breakfast milkshake.

A couple days ago my friend told me about a savory bread pudding she whipped up for dinner and I couldn't stop thinking about how good it sounded.  Usually bread pudding sounds totally disgusting to me- soggy bread, raisins, eggs and too much sugar.  But savory bread pudding opens up new doors.  Delicious doors.


Spinach, morel and sundried tomato bread pudding


Spinach, Morel and Sundried Tomato Bread Pudding

1/2 cup dried tomatoes (I used home-dried cherry tomatoes)
1/2 cup dried morel mushrooms
Boiling water
12 oz. firm tofu
1 1/2 cup almond milk
1 Tbsp. mustard
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black salt (if available)
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
4 cups stale crusty French bread, cubed
2 large handfuls baby spinach

Preheat the oven to 400F.  Lightly grease a 9x9 inch glass baking pan.  Pour boiling water over the dried tomatoes and mushrooms in a heat-safe bowl.  Let soak for about 10 minutes or until rehydrated.

In a bowl, puree together the tofu, milk, mustard, salt, black salt, thyme and garlic.  Take a little taste- it should be garlicky, a little mustardy and plenty flavorful.  If not, adjust as needed.

Drain the tomatoes and mushrooms. Chop them into bite-sized pieces if needed.  Add to the tofu mixture and stir to combine.  Add bread crumbs and spinach and stir until they are completely coated.  Dump everything into the baking dish and smooth out the top.



Put in the oven and bake uncovered for about 30-35 minutes.  Serve hot!  This will keep in the refrigerator and is super easy to cut a slice and pop in the toaster over for a quick and rich breakfast.

6 comments:

Catherine Weber said...

Oooohhh! I made a savory bread pudding not too long ago, and it was pretty good, but I still don't like eggs. Must try tofu version!

yasmin said...

This sounds pretty awesome! Although I'm a sucker for sweet bread puddings too.

The Voracious Vegan said...

WOW! That bread pudding looks incredible, I love love love the flavors you've got going on in there - just perfect! And yay for stainless steel straws!

Ricki said...

This pudding sounds phenomenal--rich and creamy and filling. I love the idea of stainless steel straws--I got a glass one as a gift and really like it.

Anonymous said...

Everything=yum! I'm glad to hear you like the stainless steel straws, I've been thinking about getting myself something along those lines, too. I wish I was as lucky as you to get a roasted portobella for xmas breakfast!

jessy said...

sweet, sweet awesomeness, Liz! savory bread pudding sounds gloriously good & it looks fantastic! hoooray for stainless steel straws! we have them too and i absolutely love 'em the most. i even keep one in my purse for when we're out. i just tell servers "i don't need a straw." and use my own!