Monday, March 2, 2009

Noooooooo!!! Sick again!

Just when I was feeling great, the common cold strikes.  Everyone at work has had this and it only makes sense that Mike and I would get it after spending nearly 2 weeks fighting off the stomach flu.  

This time, though, I'm prepared.  It's like my body knew that I would not be up to cooking this week- Because yesterday I was a cooking machine.  I got bread, applesauce, brown rice, black beans, rasam soup, and lasagna made.  

If anything is going to knock off this cold, it's a piping hot rasam with all of these spices.

And WOW, was I happy to pop this lasagna in the oven for dinner tonight.  It was actually really easy to assemble yesterday.

Seriously Good Lasagna!

The Kale
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 yellow onion
6 cloves garlic
2 bunches of kale, stems removed and chopped
Bragg's or tamari to taste

Heat a large skillet over med-high heat.  Add the olive oil and onions and saute until transparent and lightly browned.  Add the chopped kale and garlic and put a lid on it.  Kale is done when it is bright green and tender.  Splash a little Bragg's or tamari on it until slightly salted.

The Ricotta
1 batch of Cashew Ricotta or Pine Nut Ricotta from Veganomicon

The Sauce
1 quart of homemade or store bought tomato sauce

The Noodles
1 box of Tinkyada gluten free lasagna noodles, uncooked

The Topping
1/2 (or more...) a block of Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Mozzarella cheeze, shredded

In the bottom of a glass baking dish, pour 1/2 cup of sauce and 1/2 cup of water.  Layer dry lasagna noodles, ricotta, kale, and sauce until all ingredients are used, ending with tomato sauce on top.  Top with shredded cheeze.  You can put this in the fridge at this point and cook it tomorrow or put it in the oven now.  Bake at 400F for 30 minutes with foil or parchment loosely covering the top.

Now I can look forward to this in my lunch tomorrow, along with leftover green salad with carrots and cucumber.  

9 comments:

Amy said...

Ugh, being sick stinks, especially when illnesses start piggy backing each other! I hope you both feel better soon.

I LOVE that lasagna! YUM!

And I didn't get a chance to comment the other day, but I adore your guitar playing kitty. That's just too cute!

The Voracious Vegan said...

I'm so sorry you're sick. I hope you feel better soon. You probably will with all that wonderful food you've got to snack on.

Oh wow does that lasagna look good! I have still never made a vegan lasagna, can you believe it? I'd really like to try, it's one of my hubby's favorite pre-vegan foods.

Catherine Weber said...

Your lasagna looks fantastic! I'm sorry you're sick again, though! (It's that time of year, isn't it, when our immune systems have been fighting like mad for months, then just give up???) Feel well soon!

allularpunk said...

not sick again! you poor thing. good thing you had a hearty cooking day before the cold struck. that lasagna will surely cure you!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Ahh get well soon!!

Lovin' that lasagna!!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Feel better soon! Thanks for the lasagna recipe; I'm still kind of new at that having only made one in my life. :)

PB and Jess said...

Your lasagna looks great! My mom is GF too and I'm always looking for new ideas :)

Hope you feel better soon!!

VEGAN TICKLES said...

Your lasagna looks so comforting. Hope you get better soon.

Blake said...

Your lasagna looks so incredibly tasty!

Your posts are encouraging me to try some of the meat/dairy alternatives that I've been curious about for a long time.

Sorry you're sick - ack. Hope you feel better soon!