1. Whoever said that you shouldn't lick the beaters or eat tons of batter doesn't know what they're talking about. Today I avoided a terrible crisis by licking the whisk while making brownies. If it wasn't for my impatience for chocolatey goodness, I'd be stuck with a full pan of completely unsweetened brownies right now. And that would be a travesty.
2. When you're feeling a bit sensitive and have already cried because you cut you step-son's hair crooked and accidentally cut your finger in the process, and ended up taking him to an obnoxious kids' hair salon to finish it up, the best thing you can do is camp out on the couch with 2 cats, a dog, a batch of brownies, and Netflix.
3. When your brownies are the kind without oil from the Joy of Vegan Baking, it's more than acceptable to top them with ice cream to make up for the missing fat content.
4. Making a double batch of pancakes for yourself and 2 hungry 8-year-olds doesn't mean you'll have extras to freeze for breakfasts this week. It just means that each of you will eat 6 pancakes.
5. No matter how many times you ask a kid if he needs to go to the bathroom before going on a hike, he won't go. He will wait until you are a good half-mile into the woods exploring deer tracks and maple syrup tapping before hearing the call of nature.