Sunday, March 2, 2008

Clogging, Planting, and Jackfruit

This weekend the weather was warm and I was feeling restless. So I started some new things. Last night I decided I wanted to learn to clog Appalachian style. Now anyone who knows me knows that I really can't dance (except the jitterbug and the Charleston). But I'm so fascinated by clogging and everyone says it's really easy. So I found a how-to guide online and learned a few steps last night. If nothing else, it's good exercise.
After that organic farming conference I can't stop thinking about Growing Power's growing methods. They don't have tons of land or really warm weather, but they found a way to grow tons of amazing food all year round in a sustainable way. The temptation to try growing food in my basement got the better of me today. So off I went to Menard's to get some grow lights. An hour later I had everything I needed to start my seeds indoors.


Now I know this set-up is pretty common around these parts for starting seeds. And I have good advice online. But I'm really wondering if I can use this method to grow full sized lettuces in my basement in the winter. I've got great lighting, soil, and water...


So we'll see how it turns out. Of course, growing indoors requires more electricity...and our electric/gas bill is already too high. I'm hoping this won't add too much to the bottom line.
Now to set this grow center up in the basement I had to haul an entire carload of stuff to the Goodwill. I had moved everything I wanted to give away into the basement for storage until Spring, thinking that I'd have a garage sale or something. Realistically, I know that garage sale will never happen.

And just in case you're wondering, it's not a good idea to make a huge pile of clothing, packing peanuts, and electronics in the basement of a 100 year old house. We'll just call that pile Mousie Hilton and I'll let you imagine how fun it was to clear it all out.

Now for the food:
The stories of barbecue jackfruit have been circulating around vegan blogs for a while now, but I haven't been completely convinced of their deliciousness until I saw Sara's from Vegangelical. I had to try this. It is the perfect solution for someone who can't have gluten, but is craving that texture that usually only seitan (or meat) can give.
So I sauteed some onions and cooked up my jackfruit.


Then I mixed up some barbecue sauce and simmered it until my kale, smokey navy beans, baked potatoes, and Oat/Cornmeal biscuits were done. Yum! I can't believe how tender and delicious that jackfruit is! It's exactly how I remember barbecue brisket or pulled pork being.



Now I have to let all that food settle so I can do some more clogging. Something tells me I shouldn't do that with a stomach full of barbecue.

2 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

That jackfruit looks awesome... I must get around to trying it. Did you just used canned jackfruit?

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Follow Your Heart serves the most amazing white beans as a side for brunch and they look a lot like yours. Would you mind sharing your recipe?