Saturday, March 8, 2008

Great Beginnings

When Mike asked yesterday, "What time does Pizza Luce open for brunch?", I immediately started craving their Portabello Florentine. Nevermind that Mike was on the phone with a friend at the time and clearly was not asking ME to go to brunch. I still let my taste buds get the best of me.

So this morning, while he is out with his friend eating a tofu scramble, I'm at home with the kids eating this wheat-tastic breakfast of my dreams. What we have here is a light and fluffy biscuit (I say "light" because they rose so well. Not low in fat by any stretch of the imagination) with pan-fried sausage and kale, topped off with a homemade gruyere sauce. While none of these ingredients is from my own recipe, and therefore not technically original, I think that this dish is more than the sum of its parts. And it's a great way to begin a weekend.



The biscuits are from Vegan with a Vengeance, the Sausage is from Everyday Dish, and the Gruyere is from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook.

I'm always doubtful when trying out a "cheese" recipe that attempts to mimic a fine cheese I enjoyed in my pre-gan days. But this time I was truly impressed with the likeness to a nutty, aged gruyere. It complemented the spiciness of the sausage and melted into the soft biscuits like you wouldn't believe. I ate two plates full. So did each of the kids.

The next new beginning of today is the baby lettuce sprouts that popped up in my basement "greenhouse". I wasn't sure the temperature was getting high enough for the seeds to germinate, but here they are! I think I'll go ahead and seed some other plants now that I know


Look close. You can kinda see them.

1 comment:

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Looks like I'd better make that gruyere someday soon, too. I used to love gruyere in my pre-gan days because I was lucky enough to spend some time in Switzerland. Yum!