Saturday, February 9, 2008

I have to post this right now!

I realize that my last post was within the last 30 minutes...but while I was typing the last post I was cooking my lunch. And I had NO IDEA how freaking awesome this soup would turn out to be, so I'd better post it right away so you can make it for dinner.

On the way home from yoga I was struck with an intense craving for a thin dal soup with lots of spices. I had the recipe in my head by the time I pulled into the garage. This is now my new favorite soup!



Liz's Favorite Dal
Serves 2-4, depending on if you like to eat 2 bowls each or not

2 Tbsp canola oil
1 Tbsp whole coriander, crushed
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1 tsp. brown/black mustard seeds
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup small red lentils
1/2 tsp. asafoetida (if you can't find it, it's okay)
5-6 cups water
1/2 cup diced tomatoes (I just threw in leftover salsa I made last night)
2 tsp. salt
crushed red pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add coriander, cumin, fennel, and mustard seeds and stir cook until the begin to pop. Quickly cover with a lid. When popping begins to subside, add garlic and red lentils. Stir to coat lentils with spices and oil. When everything smells really awesome, add the water, tomatoes, salt, and asafoetida. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until the lentils are falling apart and the broth has thickened up a bit. Remove from heat and top with crushed red peppers to taste.

Seriously. Go make this soup right now. It's quick, easy, and is an explosion of flavor in your mouth. This would be great with a little rice for a full meal.

I'm not sure how authentically Indian this soup is- But to this white girl, it tastes like India!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe--I love red lentils and dahl and soup. I cannot wait to try it! Question--if you don't have whole cumin seeds, coriander etc., how much of the ground spices would you recommend? I know--I should get the whole seeds, but I really want to make this and not have to go to the store!

Thanks!
Courtney