Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mango Habanero Salsa

A few weeks ago my friend Joe brought over a really fantastic pineapple-habanero dish that we devoured with tortilla chips.  His mom is from Trinidad and he told us stories of eating this made with super fresh pineapples on the beach.  It tastes like pure sunshine.  Sweet, tart, hot and bright!  I decided to try to replicate this sweet-hot salsa/salad myself, but ended up changing it a bit out of necessity.  I planned on making this just as Joe did, but my pineapple wasn't ripe!  Luckily, I had a ripe mango and just threw that in instead.  Joe tells me that my adaptation stays true to the Trinidadian original.

PS- If you don't know how to cut a mango, you can see my buddies Joe and Nick teach you how!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj_JzLCYY2Y


Mango-Habanero Salsa/Salad 
It's a salsa/salad because it's good with chips, but you can eat it straight up, too.  (Like many of my favorite things)

2 ripe mangoes, cut in small cubes 
1/2 onion, minced
1 habanero chile, seeds removed, minced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 big handful cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Salt

Mix everything together.  Eat.

1 comment:

Debra said...

I've made something like this before! It's really yummy! :-)

Blessings, Debra
Raw Vegan Diet