Saturday, October 22, 2011

Goodnight, Garden

I've started the process of putting the garden to bed for the winter, but I'm still getting some great veggies.

The green bean and cuke beds are covered in garden scraps and composting away. The tomatoes, surprisingly enough, kept ripening despite freezing temps and practically dead plants. I even found an eggplant hidden away that I didn't even know I had!

I'm still pulling out peppers, beets, and kale - and I just started pulling carrots today.

I like to wait as long as possible before harvesting carrots, so I just pulled enough for this week. Gotta be careful not to wait too long, though! A couple years ago the ground froze solid before I harvested them- with an ice pick.

2 comments:

Pearl said...

with an ice pick? heh. glad that worked. I look forwar to real gardening next season.

Michael@noflournosugardiet said...

Hi Liz,
I recall a chef, or maybe it was a farmer, talking about the sweetest carrots he ever had...part of what made them so sweet, if I recall right, was the fact that they had been frozen for a period.
Am I remembering that right?
anyway- kudos for milking your long-lasting garden.