Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Super Quick Black Bean Soup

Here's a make-ahead meal that I love once the weather starts cooling off.  It's just a bit cooler this week, so I couldn't resist a creamy black bean soup.  




All I had to do to make this possible on a weeknight was just pressure cook some black beans this weekend. That took all of about 5 minutes.

Then last night I sautéed some onions and garlic in olive oil, added the black beans, water and a bouillon cube and brought it up to a simmer.  Then I sprinkled in some yummy spices: cumin, coriander and a little cayenne pepper.  Once heated though, I used my immersion blender to puree it all.  My favorite toppings include pico de gallo, tortilla chips, avocado and pickled jalapeños.

My favorite part about this soup?  It's crazy rich in protein because it's basically all beans!  Plus, there's some serious fiber going on here.  I'm bringing it to work tomorrow to eat for second breakfast!

5 comments:

Sophia said...

I wish I had a pressure cooker, I didn't realize that it allowed you to cook beans so quickly! So asking for one for Christmas now! lol


http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

Catherine Weber said...

I looooooove a good black bean soup! My favorite topping is diced avocado. (But not local! Sad. When does your Eat Local challenge end?)

Liz said...

Eat Local Challenge ends today! I bought avocados yesterday in anticipation :)

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh, that sounds perfect for the cooling off weather!

Anonymous said...

Wow--5 minutes for black beans?! I have been thinking about pressure cookers...what brand/model do you have?

Courtney