Thursday, September 23, 2010

Copy Cat Stew

It's going to take me a long time to write this because I can't put down my peanut stew to type.  Tonight my besty Sarah casually mentioned that she was making peanut stew for dinner.  Immediately my taste buds started screaming, "We want that!  We want that!"  But I already invited myself to dinner last week and really wanted to enjoy a stew on my own couch in my jammies, watching the season premiere of The Office.  

So I set out to make a copycat stew.  My requirements were that I couldn't shop for any ingredients (already spent the grocery budget for this week!) and it had to be ready super quick.  


Mission accomplished!  Here's how I did it:

Super Quick Peanut Stew
One secret to always having coconut milk on hand is to freeze any leftovers in an ice cube tray.  I used 2 cubes of frozen milk in this stew.  It's also great for tossing into smoothies!

1 Tbsp. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
1 yam/sweet potato, cut in bite-sized chunks
4 large kale leaves, stem removed and chopped
1 quart water
1/3 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup coconut milk
a healthy squirt of Bragg's Aminos or tamari
a big pinch of crushed red chiles

Heat oil in a small soup pot.  Add the garlic, potatoes and kale.  Sauté for just a bit, until the garlic is starting to smell good.  Then add the water, peanut butter and coconut milk.  Simmer until the yams are tender and the peanut butter is melted- about 15 minutes.  Then add the Bragg's and chiles to taste.  Enjoy while watching season premieres.

4 comments:

kosher said...

WoW! Amaze me on how to make a Stew that fast and easy steps.

Claire said...

Oooh that looks lovely!!!
Thanks for the recipe!
Perfect for cold nights

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Yes, I want that too!

Elizabeth Orchard said...

Nice one! I love fall stews. Thanks.