Sunday, September 19, 2010

Digging up Carrots

It's a weird time for the garden right now.  We're still right in the middle of September, but none of my tomatoes have ripened in the past 2 weeks.  It's October weather and I'm a bit scared that I'm going to have about 30 lbs. of green tomatoes to deal with soon.  Green tomatoes are yummy, but I don't want quite that many!  


Some plants are loving this weather, though.  The Fall green beans are flourishing and the carrots are huge, earthy and sweet.  I've always grown carrots, but they are usually a bit small and gnarled.  I tend to use my garden carrots more for soup and cooking than for eating plain.  But not this year!!!


This year I filled an entire 8' by 4' bed with carrots and it paid off.  Even though I usually rotate the crops in my beds each year, I might have to leave this the "carrot bed" because the soil and sunlight are so well suited to them.  Just look at this thing.  And it's not overgrown and tough- This carrot is sweet as candy and perfumes carrot-ness as soon as it's plucked from the soil!  I've been slicing these up in my lunchbox and actually skipping any dip for them (Never before done, folks.  I love my vegan ranch dip!).  
It's a little silly, but I could help but snap a few more photos with the carrot.  Just look at how Hannah Dog begs for them!


First with her tongue hanging out...

 
Then with her teeth and ears out!



No comments: