Friday, May 21, 2010

Kale-O-Rama

I'm not a big raw foods kind of gal.  I tend to go more towards cooked vegetables, soups and grains.  But every once in a while, particularly in the summer, I get massive cravings for super fresh raw veggies.  A kale salad is my favorite answer to that craving.


I've written about raw kale salads before, but this one turned out so delicious that I have to share it, too.
As I prepped this salad, I was inspired by both the super yummy dijon-marinated kale salad that my raw-for-two-and-a-half-months buddy Melissa had at Sacred Chow in NYC and the kale and golden beet salad that's been brightening up the Linden Hills Co-op deli lately.  This is kind of a hybrid of those, with a crazy amount of ginger.

Gingered Kale Salad
1 bunch raw kale, stems removed and chopped
1 golden yellow beet, peeled and grated
1-2 inches of ginger root, peeled and finely grated
1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
2-3 Tbsp. umeboshi plum vinegar
1 Tbsp. tahini
2 Tbsp. flax oil

Massage kale until it turns bright green and softens.  Combine the kale with the grated beet in a seal-able container.  In a little bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients until smooth.  Pour dressing over the kale and beet salad and shake it all up in your sealed container.  I like to marinate this salad overnight or at least a few hours before serving.  I took this salad in my lunch box all week without it getting soggy or weird!  Kale is amazing!

2 comments:

miss v said...

i've been on a major kale kick lately. i love raw kale salads - i have a bunch of old dressings on my blog, but i'm trying out a whole new batch this year! hopefully i'll have them tweaked soon for posting!

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

Umeboshi vinegar makes everything delicious. Seriously.