Thursday, November 5, 2009

Curry Mushroom Soup

I was talking to my work buddy Nick (as I do pretty frequently most days) when he told me about a creamy mushroom soup he made last night. My ears misheard him, though, and the idea for my dinner was born. I heard "Curry Mushroom Soup".

This soup is extremely flavorful with ginger, curry paste, and cilantro. The texture is slightly creamy and, wow, is it filling. If you're gluten free, you could definitely sub some baked or fried tofu for the seitan- or just leave it out for a less filling soup. And you could serve this over rice to extend it further.

I know this is a lot of ingredients- But you really just throw it all in a pot and simmer a few minutes- it's not too complicated!

Curried Mushroom Soup
Serves 4

1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 8 oz. package seitan (or homemade), in bite-sized pieces
2 inches ginger root, finely grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium carrots, sliced on the bias
2 medium potatoes, diced
About 10 large button mushrooms, sliced
4 green onions, sliced
1 tsp. cumin seed
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. sea salt
1-2 Tbsp. Patak's mild curry paste
Water
Unsweetened almond milk
1 cup coconut milk
Cilantro, for garnish

Heat a large soup pot over med-high heat. Add the onions and seitan and saute until both are beginning to brown. Then add the ginger, garlic, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, green onions, cumin, coriander, salt, and curry paste. Stir to combine. Add enough water and almond milk to cover the vegetables and seitan- Equal parts almond milk and water is what I used, but you could use all almond milk for a creamier soup. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are tender. Then stir in the coconut milk and garnish with cilantro. Adjust to taste with salt and curry paste. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Carissa said...

This sounds good! I really like your blog :)

elilaiann.blogspot.com

Liz said...

Liz, I just made this soup! I was craving mushrooms and curry and found your recipe. So good!