Thursday, July 3, 2008

Yippee!

If there's one thing this Eat Local Challenge has done, it's made me really excited about food. {I know what you're thinking..."How could Liz be any more excited about food?"}

A few months ago I never would have squealed with delight after seeing that the nappa cabbage and yellow squash from Wisconsin were delivered today. But today, in the produce aisle, I squealed and even jumped up and down a little after seeing these beauties. Plus, there were local cippolini onions! I'm just so excited to have my menu broaden!

So as soon as I got home I cooked up some buckwheat with the onions, then sauteed yellow squash, zucchini, onion tops, cherry tomatoes and cremini mushrooms with handfuls of fresh parsley, lime basil, and thyme. Wow- this was just what I needed. I just seasoned it with the herbs and salt, so I could really taste the freshness of the veggies.
Afterwards I enjoyed a shake made with OatsCreme (MN made- I emailed them to find out where their oats come from), Organic Valley soymilk (WI), and backyard strawberries.

Now I've just got to plan a fun dinner for tomorrow. I'm just working a 1/2 day, so I could make something really special...

2 comments:

Alicia said...

hahaha, you jumped up and down? I also get super excited with this kind of things, haha.

aTxVegn said...

I think it's very exciting to find out your favorite foods are available locally!

I was told by my fave vegan bakery that they don't sell Oatscreme anymore because it went out of business. True?