Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A proper Southern meal

This is how I want to eat every day. This is simple food that is rich, satisfying and highly nutritious.

I pressure cooked some black-eyed peas and then seasoned them with Bragg's and a little liquid smoke. For the greens, I fried up some little pieces of marinated tofu, onions, and garlic and then added an assortment of collards, mustard greens, and overgrown lettuce from the garden.

The cornbread is the Southern Style cornbread I always make from Gluten-free cooking school. I eat my cornbread with my meal because I like savory cornbread. Mike and the boys like theirs for desserts, smothered in maple syrup. They were a little bit mad at me for serving the peas on top of the cornbread, but I really wanted them to try it. Instead, the kids scraped the peas off and saved the cornbread for last.

Cucumber "Pickle" Salad

4-5 pickling cucumbers, roughly chopped
2 small cippolini onions, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. minced fresh dill
1 pasillo chile (or other chili you like- these are mild), minced
1/2-1 tsp sea salt (salt to taste)
1-2 Tbsp. rice vinegar

Stir everything together and let it marinate at least 30 minutes before serving.

4 comments:

Erin said...

That looks like a meal I could eat every day too. Putting bits of tofu in the greens is a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Yum--I just got a HUGE bunch of dill today at the farmers market on the U of MN campus, and I have pickling cucumbers from the Minneapolis market last weekend! I will be making that salad soon!

Courtney

jessy said...

i could eat that every day as well! mmmmmmmmm! it all looks amazing - and thanks for the cucumber recipe, too! we're growing a BUNCH of cucs and this is just perfect! i myself am also a savory cornbread kinda girl. you've just reminded me that i haven't had some in a while. i'm gonna have to fix that! :D

Tami said...

What an awesome dinner! Another vote for savory cornbread and I really want to try those cucumbers.