Thursday, December 9, 2010

Spicy!

I was so surprised when I arrived home last night to find brand new homemade risers on my spice shelves.  I knew Mike was planning on making these some day, but I squealed with delight when I saw how great they looked!


Mike's woodworking is almost exclusively with dumpstered reclaimed wood.  I love that the materials are put to good use now, instead of sitting in a landfill or getting burned.  He mostly makes banjos, but now he can say he's made a spice risers, too.  And I had a fantastic time organizing them, #1: by frequency of use and #2: alphabetically.

On another note, I'm a big fan of Microplane graters.  But I was really disappointed when the plastic housing of my box grater broke.  So I wrote them a little note explaining this and they're sending me a brand new one!  I love it when companies stand by their products and know how to make a bad customer experience into a great one.  So good job, Microplane!  

8 comments:

Celeste said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Celeste said...

You can send him over to our house next. I have spice riser envy. Looks great!

Erica Rose said...

Where did you buy those cute little spice jars?? I must have them!

One Artist a Day said...

If you ever need to reclaim wood I would suggest talking to the theater dept at St. Kate's (or other schools) and let them know you are interested in left overs. I threw away so much I cried.

Crystal said...

Love it!

Just Us said...

Looks great...way to go Mike. :o) I am very jealous of all your spices!

Catherine Weber said...

Gorgeous! Sometimes I wish Dan was handy. :)

P.S. I have to talk to Mike about the banjo sometime -- my students have been learning "I've been workin' on the railroad" and want to see a REAL banjo! :)

Anonymous said...

so cool, thrifty & crafy!