Monday, December 6, 2010

Cranberry Cupcakes!

 As soon as I was asked to make cupcakes for this year's Yoga Day celebration with the Iyengar Yoga Association of MN, I knew I wanted to do something with cranberries.  But I don't think I've ever had cranberry cupcakes before.

At first I tried out a cranberry/orange recipe variation... That didn't turn out so hot.  I think I disliked them because of the orange extract that I used.  They tasted kind of like fake orange lollipops with some craisins thrown in.  Not terrible, but not what I was going for.  Unfortunately, I baked off 2 dozen before I decided this (we're still eating plenty of them).


Next I tried a basic vanilla cupcake recipe with a little orange zest and lots of chopped craisins.  Jackpot.  They were light, fluffy and flecked with red cranberries.  The frosting was the best part, though!  I used the cream cheese frosting from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and added some of my homemade cranberry ginger jam (strained) for color and some pomegranate molasses for tartness.  I'll definitely be doing this again.  It was just enough tartness to get a little pucker in the back of your throat along with the hefty sweetness of the frosting.






Look how adorable they look in their bakery box!  I'm so glad I picked up a bunch of these at Michael's a while back.  They come in handy for transporting all sorts of food.  


3 comments:

Catherine Weber said...

Ooooohhh yum! I wonder if this would work with leftover Thanksgiving cranberries? Or I could use it as a filling? Hmmm . . . !

Crystal said...

So cool - cranberry cupcakes! They look great. And thanks for the tip on buying boxes from Michael's. I would have been searching all over town before I stopped there, so you saved me some time.

Vegan Fazool said...

These look gorgeous! I have been in cranberry mode, too, made a walnut/parsley/cranberry pesto pasta the other night and am thinking about how to use this big thing of fresh cranberries that I bought...trying to come up with a way to bake them into something sweet, but I don't think fresh would work in your recipe, or might they? Like a cranberry bread type of thing? Thoughts? P.S the tip on the boxes is a great one!