Monday, June 8, 2009

Baking Day

Yesterday was definitely a day for baking.  What else can you do when it feels like a blustery fall day in JUNE?  

The second I saw Tracy's gorgeously pillowy High Calcium Bread, I knew I had to try it.  I'm a sucker for a soft, high-rising bread and the recipe is really simple, calling for items I always have in my pantry.    

Mine didn't rise quite as beautifully, but they look, smell and taste awesome!  I'm eating an end-piece right now, smeared with Earth Balance.  This bread has a very soft, moist crumb and it's got to be high in calcium with all that molasses in there.  The only thing I might change is to increase the salt just a touch.  Maybe by 1/2 tsp.  

I also decided to use up some rhubarb by making the Rhubarb Cake from Meagan's blog, except in cupcake form.  It's always great to see a recipe that uses barley flour.  It's so underappreciated!  Sadly, because of my choice of pans they just barely got cooked all the way through before the sugar in the batter started to burn.  I should have stuck with Meagan's method of using the cake pan!  Rest assured, they will be eaten, no matter how ugly.  

I'll definitely be trying this recipe again, because I LOVE the idea of a cake-y rhubarb muffin.
And because it'll use up more rhubarb.

I also made some granola yesterday.  Just the usual PB and maple granola.  It looked especially pretty in the afternoon light, I thought.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great baking day!

That granola looks awesome...I'm going to have to try it out!

Anonymous said...

Where's do you get your recipe for pb and maple granola? It sounds awesome!

Anonymous said...

thanks for checking out the recipe...and who cares what they look like, as long as it tastes good, right??

aTxVegn said...

That bread looks great! You are quite the baker.

I just made some emergency microwave granola and it's so bad.

Erin said...

I saved the recipe for that bread when I saw it too, looks so good!