Saturday, October 13, 2007

Rhubarb-Mulberry Pie

As soon as my dad announced he was coming to visit, he made it clear that he would need a rhubarb pie (and a foot rub) as a belated birthday present. My favorite present to give people is food, so I was happy to oblige.

The pie crust is the "Flaky Pie Crust" from Garden of Vegan. I used the last of the rhubarb from the garden with some of the mulberries from the berry patch that we froze this year (about 4 cups fruit total). I tossed the fruit with 1/3 cup of flour and 1/3 cup of sugar (approximately) and about 1/4 tsp. each of powdered ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Then I topped it with a mixture of 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup sliced almonds, more ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and a drizzle of oil until it got crumb-y. I baked it for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.


My dad and I ate almost 1/2 the pie!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

It looks delicious! The almonds are a great touch.