Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Inappropriate Food

My mom tells me that when I was a little girl the other parents questioned her about whether or not I was abused because they heard that kids who are abused tend to dress inappropriately. You see, my mom always let me dress myself. And I liked to wear sundresses in the winter and sweaters in the summer (not due to any kind of abuse, I assure you. Just because that's what I liked). I dress appropriately for the weather now...but my cooking is a bit inappropriate.

We got a warm spell this past week (over 80 in Minnesota in October? ) and that happened to coincide with my cravings for a hot breakfast of Cheese Grits and a dinner of Lasagna. The temperature in our house was about 86 degrees and I was firing up the oven!

These "Cheese Grits" are really just polenta with some nutritional yeast and a bit of Vegan Gourmet cheeze grated in and tons of salt and pepper. I added some collard greens, too. It makes me feel like I'm sitting at my grandma's table in Virginia!


I raked in some serious veggies from the garden this week! We're still getting tons of tomatoes, broccoli, and chilies.

For the Lasagna, I wanted to use as many veggies as possible. I roasted our first pumpkin from the garden with the biggest yam I've ever seen from the co-op. Then I added salt, chili powder, and cumin and mashed them up with some soymilk.
Then I sauteed onions, garlic, collard greens, and kale and added some of the pesto from last year that I really have to use up.
I whisked together a simple bechamel sauce and layered lasagna noodles with the yam/pumpkin mash, greens, and bechamel sauce. I topped it with fresh heirloom tomatoes and...
Cheezly cheese!!! It just came in from VeganEssentials! I can't believe how freaking good it is!
(so good it makes me look terrified!)

Here it is all melty on top...
The slices were sloppy and cheesy and good! The whole family devoured it.

Now it's 40 degrees and I want ice cream.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Your garden haul is awesome! I can't wait to try Cheesly. I finally started liking the cheddar variety of Scheese.

Did you go to brunch this weekend?