Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Lil' Swedish

I didn't set out to make Swedish "meat"balls tonight, but I changed my plans.

I've never had Swedish meatballs before, but after about 13 years of living with Northerners, I have a bit of an idea what they might be like. And I heard several people talking about eating them over the holidays, leaving me wondering if I'd like them. So instead of my usual apricot-tomato glaze for some walnut-tofu balls, I decided to give it a whirl.

I looked at a few recipes online and then ended up winging it with my usual cream gravy recipe (Earth Balance, flour, almond milk, veg. broth)...with some Tofutti sour cream stirred in at the end.  Healthy, huh?


Billie Cat enjoyed this process.  I probably should have stopped him from cleaning out the sour cream container, but he could use some extra calories.  Poor Billie was recently diagnosed with diabetes and just started insulin shots this week.  He seems to be pepping up a bit, but he still has a lot of weight to gain back.  

Anyhow- here you can see the balls after they are baked.  After this, I dropped them in the sauce, rolled them around and then ate them straight up.  I was cooking rice to serve with them, but it wasn't done yet and I couldn't wait.






I know this doesn't look like much.  But seriously- "Meat"balls in gravy?  How have I not made this before?  Bring on the lingonberry jam!

1 comment:

Tara said...

I grew up eating my mom's frikadellen, which is pretty much little meat loaf patties in gravy. Your post made me smack my head with the realization that I can veganize this comfort food! Thank you!!