Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Spring Roast

It might be spring somewhere, but it's still pretty chilly in Minnesota.  I think still being able to turn on the oven is the only advantage of the cool weather.  I indulged my gluten-loving self this past week by heating up the house with a seitan roast.  I try not to tempt Mike with too many glutinous foods in the house, but I was craving this! 

A "before" photo

I didn't use a recipe for this one, but there was lots of poultry seasoning, Bragg's aminos and nutritional yeast in here- I remember that much.  And, of course, the obligatory roasting veggies along with the seitan.  The onion melted into the most divine texture!

Aside from eating the seitan and veggies straight-up, cold out of the fridge, I've used it in some stir fries.  All it takes is a crazy hot cast iron skillet, a little oil and tons of vegetables to make a successful stir fry!


I was going to serve this one over quinoa or rice, but opted to just enjoy the veggies and seitan on their own.  This dish included broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, green onions, tons of ginger and seitan.  I finished the stir fry with a little sauce of lime juice and Bragg's aminos mixed with a bit of cornstarch so it thickened up to coat the veggies as soon as I added it.  I think I ate about 3 cups of vegetables in one sitting!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I've been a vegetarian for a couple of years now, but I've never tried cooking with seitan. Is it easy to find in grocery stores/cook with?

foodfeud said...

It looks so great! I've never made a roast like that. Maybe before the weather is altogether too nice...