Thursday, July 15, 2010

Black Walnut Banana Bread

Okay, I know that logically I shouldn't turn on the oven in the middle of a heat/humidity wave.  But I can't help myself.  Heat makes my bananas get ripe faster and then I'm forced to bake banana bread!

I also had a big jar of black walnuts that were burning a hole in my pantry (That's the cooking equivalent of money burning a hole in your pocket).  I had never baked with black walnuts before, so I just had to see how they tasted in a banana bread.



Oh. my. gawd.  This banana bread knocked my socks off.  I used the recipe for banana muffins from The Joy of Vegan Baking and left our the chocolate chips and added 1 cup of chopped black walnuts.  The walnuts were fragrant and almost... don't think this is weird... floral.  I loved it.  The walnuts had none of the bitterness that regular walnuts have.  If you ever have a chance to get black walnuts, get 'em and bake some banana bread.

No comments: