Saturday, December 5, 2009

Day 6- Pantry Challenge

I'm pretty sure it breaks the pantry challenge rules to go out to lunch, but since I get to make the rules I'll say that it's allowed today.  Mike justified it by pointing out that we practically live at the co-op, so eating lunch there is just like eating at home.  I had a really rockin' panini with tempeh, portabello mushroom and avocado!

Tonight I finished up some seitan noodle soup and decided to bake some cookies.  I've had a canister of Dagoba Xocolatl hot chocolate with chilies and cinnamon in my pantry for waaaaayyyyy too long. Like from back when Dagoba wasn't owned and ruined by Hershey's (Most of their dark chocolate bars now contain milk...Same with Green and Black's since they were bought out by Cadbury).  I'm all for some fair trade, organic hot chocolate, but I found that I prefer mine without chilies or cinnamon.  So I dumped the last of my millet flour and sugar together with hefty dose of this mix and some other cookie-type ingredients and got some pretty wild cookies.  They look like lumps of coal, but taste like spicy chocolate goodness.

Here are the staple things I've run out of so far:
Tofu, tempeh
Basmati rice
Millet flour
Wheat gluten
Sugar
Earth Balance (tragedy)
Lemon juice, lemons
Gluten free pasta
Canola oil
Soy yogurt
Almond milk

Plenty of dry beans, millet and condiments left, though.  Plus other weird odds and ends like water chestnuts and sour cherry preserves.  Next week should be interesting!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post..im from philippines. check my latest post.. if you dont mind would you like to post your link in my blogs. tnx. godbless you..

Catherine Weber said...

Running out of canola oil seems like the greater tragedy! ;)

Where's the photo of your lumps of coal, by the way? You should tuck them in the kids' stockings as a joke!

jessy said...

i think i'd be most sadfaced about running out of earth balance, too. i love the stuff! i'm glad your cookies turned out to be tasty & fun, even if they looked like little lumps of coal. sour cherry preserves sound interesting... yay!

your co-op panini sounds gloriously good, and think it sounded like great idea for a fun lunch time treat. you've been using up so many items a treat was fo 'sho in order. yum!

Niki said...

I love a good pantry challenge - it forces me to get creative and use what I have instead of always making the same easy stuff I'm used to!

Natalie said...

Hey! Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for an award! Come check it out at my place to accept it. :) Congratulations!

http://serendipitous-natalie.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-first-blog-award.htm

Anonymous said...

Haha, this challenge is brilliant! Nice work!

miss v said...

you could make a mexi-millet, or scrumptious veggie burgers from the beans!

Erin said...

I'm enjoying your pantry challenge! I think I might have one of my own after the winter break, when I plan to organize my pantry and find out what's actually in there.