Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Ten Years


Well, I officially have been in Minnesota for 10 years. Technically, it's about 10 years and a month, but who's counting?

I just got home from my 10 year high school reunion in Garland, TX.

My best friends from high school- April, Brandon, (me), Jennifer

It was a fast-paced trip because I tried to pack seeing my mom, dad and brother at their respective houses, grandparents, and friends. I did make sure to visit my favorite restaurants, though. I ate chips, salsa and guacamole at least once per day for each of the 5 days.

I always eat out way too much on these trips and feel like I need a detox when I get home. My stepmom did make a super delicious meal of brown rice, white beans cooked with sage, and rosemary roasted vegetables that made up for some of the lost nutrition in the chip-laden meals, though!

The best meal of the trip by far was the homemade Thai that my friends Ashlie and John made.

Eggless Egg Rolls! Super crisp and filled with mushrooms and cabbage!

Probably the best Pad Thai I've ever had. Includes fried tofu, homegrown mung bean sprouts, and hand-pureed tamarind paste!

Potato and Sweet Potato Massaman Curry. We're talking homemade curry paste here, folks.

Fish balls. A little scary because they're so fishy, but pretty amazing! They need a better name, though!

The recipes are from Real Vegetarian Thai by Nanci McDermott. My next stop is to the library to see if they have it!

4 comments:

VeganWoman said...

Yay to your stepmom! it looks delicious. I know what you mean about detoxing when one is away from their usual eating routine :)

The Voracious Vegan said...

That food is so impressive, everything looks delicious.

Ricki said...

Looks like you had lots of fun at the reunion! And the food is amazing. I'm going to go look for that cookbook, too!

Catherine Weber said...

I believe that chips and guac is a perfectly acceptable meal. :) Even two or three times in a row!