Monday, September 22, 2008

Friends with Benefits


It's good to have friends.  Especially friends who make jam.

From left to right:
Door County Cherry Jam by Elizabeth
Zestar Apple Jelly by Morgen
Spiced Michigan Peach Jam by Jess

Not pictured:
Blueberry Grape Jam by Elizabeth
Mustard Pickles by Morgen

How lucky am I?  Not only do I have friends I can talk to about canning and preserving- I have friends who GIVE me homemade jam!  Of course, there are usually reciprocal gifts from me, but that's part of the fun.  

It would be super sweet to officially organize a group of canners to do trades with.  Of course, if it was official we'd probably have to get some intense insurance in case someone canned up some botulism with their green beans.  Maybe people could just sign waivers.  




5 comments:

sandy said...

Liz, Morgen told me about your blog and I've been reading it faithfully, laughing and enjoying your food snobbery! I'm so happy to see this post about sharing the bounty. Isn't it a kick? I've started canning again this summer, after a many year hiatus. Right now Allen is watching over my apple butter that should be heavenly! Good luck and I'd love to share ideas if you feel so inclined. Love, Sandy

CoCargoRider said...

Why a waiver? If we are trading, there is no financial gain, so I do not see the risk. You are not "buying" anything. We would love to trade with you.
Namaste,
Devin

Liz said...

Sandy! I've been enjoying your Kerr canning book this week, complete with your notes about canning quantities. I'm super jealous of your skills!

Amey said...

mmmmm!
I am a big fan of canning... and I have one fellow canning friend. We always swap. the apple jelly looks so beautiful. I've never heard of apple jelly. I think I'll look it up. I have an apple tree, and I'm always looking for creative uses.
:)

allularpunk said...

i need to find some friends who can... right now only my mom does, and she faithfully supplies me with jam and canned tomatoes and beans, but only when i get to go home! your blog is awesome, by the way, very readable and the pictures are great!