Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I love Hillbillies...

Tomatoes, that is.

When I saw a "Hillbilly" variety of heirloom tomatoes for sale at the co-op this year, I knew I had to get them. I mean, what a great tomato name! {You may recall that I frequently choose what variety of food to plant based solely on the name. I do the same for paint colors}

And now that I see these gorgeous tomatoes, I know I made a good choice. One of these babies is 5 1/2 inches in diameter! I'm tempted to go out and buy a scale, just so I can weigh them. The dollar in the picture is for size reference- these are not for sale.
So what to do with all these tomatoes? Some awesome Twin Cities chefs cooked at the MN Garlic Festival last weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed their tomato salad. So this is my attempt to replicate it. We sliced up one hillbilly and a few smaller yellow tomatoes for a simple salad- It fed 4 of us!
The salad was just sliced tomatoes, fresh basil, salt, pepper, and a garlic vinaigrette. Here's the super easy vinaigrette:

2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
2 Tbsp. umeboshi plum vinegar (or rice vinegar + salt to taste)
1 Tbsp. liquid sweetener (maple syrup, agave, or honey)
2 Tbsp. olive oil

Whisk it all together and enjoy the sweet/sour/salty/garlicky goodness.

No comments: