Saturday, February 9, 2008

Comfort Food

It's cold outside and windy today, with a forecast of getting colder and windier. I think it's fitting that I have pictures to post of really comforting foods.

First up is the grilled cheeze sandwiches and fire roasted tomato soup that we ate on Tuesday night. We usually cook meals from scratch, but Tuesday nights are always super busy. And Vegan Gourmet is on sale his month! A grilled cheese sandwich is always a treat and makes me feel like I'm in the third grade again. The fire roasted tomato soup is by Imagine Organic, so I take no credit for it being good. But I'm impressed that something from a box tasted so rich and flavorful.

The picture's not much to look at, but it makes me remember how yummy it all was for a 15 minute dinner.


I baked batches of cupcakes for 2 events: a game night for friends from work last night and a cupcake tasting for a couple whose wedding desserts I'm baking. The lucky couple narrowed their flavor options down to some really awesome flavors, mostly from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Here they are naked (the cupcakes, not the couple!):

And here they are frosted:
These are the mini cupcakes for the game night festivities. We had:
orange cupcakes with orange frosting
orange cupcakes with orange frosting and ganache
spice cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
Mexican chocolate cupcakes with no frosting (sugar, cocoa, and cinn. instead)
Mexican chocolate cupcakes with ganache

I also baked some gluten-free chocolate raspberry cupcakes, but the dog ate all but 4 mini cupcakes (Yes, she ate an entire dozen full sized cupcakes). The centers of these sank, so I filled the center with raspberry frosting and coated them in ganache. They ended up tasting pretty good.

Now I just need to do a couple more flavors for tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow--it looks like you outdid yourself!

Courtney

Anonymous said...

I bet Hannah loved those gluten free cupcakes. I know I would have.