Monday, June 28, 2010

The Mill, The Garden and Canning


Oh, my.  It's been a good 2 weeks since I've written anything.  I assure you that I've still been eating good food.  I just haven't been chronicling it.  

Right now I'm thoroughly enjoying a week of mother-daughter time.  It's not very often that I get to hang out with my mom!  She drove up from Texas and we're hanging out as long as possible.  This past weekend we went to the Mill City Museum and farmer's market in Minneapolis.  Super fun!  This makes 3 Minnesota Historical Society tours that I've gone to in the past 2 months- Probably time for a membership.  


Ruins from the old Gold Medal Flour Mill

I was showing my mom around the garden yesterday and found a TON of green beans ready to harvest!  (Ok, not a ton.  But 2 lbs. and 10 oz. is still a lot).  We picked all that we could find and also some lettuce, dill, garlic scapes and radishes.  

I stir fried the green beans with garlic scapes and fresh tomato and then added a splash of balsamic and red wine vinegar at the end.  Yum!


The lettuce made a lovely salad with French breakfast radishes, dill and a simple vinaigrette.  I LOVE fresh dill in a salad.  

On Wednesday my mom is coming to one of my canning classes- This will be the first time she's seen me teach, so I'm pretty excited to have her there.  And the class will be packed!  I have about a gazillion canning classes coming up this summer.  I've taught 2 so far (MN Pollution Control Agency and St. Paul Community Ed.) and have more coming up at Mississippi Market, Valley Natural Co-op, Linden Hills Co-op, Chakra Khan Massage, Minneapolis Farmer's Market, a couple of community events/fundraisers and various community ed. districts.  My summer will be full of canning even if I don't can a thing at home (yeah, like that will ever happen)!

6 comments:

Catherine Weber said...

I've been on the tour at Mill City Museum before -- it was a lot of fun!

Where would you recommend I look for a good selection of jars and canning supplies? I'd like to try my hand at making pickles this year, but don't want to get "hosed" on the jars. :)

Carissa said...

Fresh dill in salads is my favorite too! Actually fresh dill on just about anything :)

Anonymous said...

Fresh dill in salads is one of my favorite things...it is SO good. I love dill!

I have always wanted to learn how to can. I would love to come to one of your classes--is there a way to get more information about when/where you will be teaching them?

Thanks!
Courtney

Liz said...

Catherine- The Frattalone's Ace Hardware on Grand Ave. near Macalester always has good deals on canning supplies and in the next week or two, Mississippi Market is getting a crazy huge shipment of jars and they'll be going on sale! Right now we've got the canning accessory kits for $9.99.

Courtney- I'd love to have you there!!! My co-op classes are at www.msmarket.coop and I'll have to gather up info about my other classes. Perhaps another blog post?

Anonymous said...

Great--thanks so much. I will check out your classes at the co-op, but please do let us (me?) know about your other local classes too!

Courtney

Kevin said...

fresh dill in salad is excellent, but try toasted fennel sometime for a really unique flavor.

I make a toasted fennel and lime dressing, often serving it with bay shrimp, celeriac, and bibb lettuce.
Scrumptious!

Kevin in Sacramento