Monday, November 19, 2012

On Cake

I'm about to get seriously snobby up in this hizzouse.

I love cake.  Chocolate cake, vanilla cake, banana cake, whatever.  I will eat any vegan cake you put in front of me, and even some not vegan cakes.

But you know what kind of cake is just worthless? Refrigerated cake.  If you can't eat it fast enough to prevent it going bad, then share.  In my experience, cold cake is dry and all the flavor has been sucked right out.

Some exceptions might exist- perhaps freshly baked cakes that have been refrigerated a very short time and then are brought up to room temperature before serving might be okay.  I understand that we're supposed to refrigerate things for food safety purposes, but I'm willing to risk my life for fresh, room temperature cake.

That is all.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love vanilla cake and banana cake, your blog provide me how to prevent to going bad. Many thanks to you.
food safety uk

Icantbelieveitsvegan said...

Aren't you vegan any more? I noticed you changed your diet description for "vegetarian family" and now you're writing you might be eating some non-vegan cakes...What happened?

Liz said...

Nope, not any more. My partner and I both decided to start eating some dairy. It wasn't a big revolutionary moment or anything, it just felt right. We still eat plenty of vegan meals, but not always. Had my 20 year vegetarian-iversary this month!