Wednesday, January 4, 2012

This Year's Resolutions

My partner tells me that it's bad luck to tell other people your New Year's resolutions.  I think that's only the case with the wishes you make on birthday candles, though.  If it is bad luck, I'm doomed.

1.  Wear more skirts in the winter.
Ridiculous, you say?  Petty? Sorry.  Skirts make me happy, are way more flattering than pants for my body shape and allow me to stretch during the day without the constraint of something enveloping my legs.  I hate clothes touching my body.  Usually I just sacrifice comfort in the winter because it's cold, but this year I'm going to keep wearing skirts (with thick tights and boots) into the winter months. Plus,  it's been really warm so far (40 degrees in January?!?!) so this sounds completely reasonable.  Check back with me when it's -15.

2.  Integrate more music into my life.
Perfect example: Right now I'm sitting in my living room, home alone, and it's silent except for the sounds of the keyboard and the dog licking herself.  I would love to listen to some music, but I just don't think about it.  When I DO listen to music, I feel really happy.  So I'm going to find ways to listen to music more often this year.  So far I've joined Spotify and a "music club" with friends where we make a mix CD every month and trade.

3.  Continue being active for my mental health, rather than physical health.

4.  Stick to my budget so that I can pay off my car and meet my "emergency fund" savings goals in 2012.  [Look out, students loans.  I'm coming for you in 2013]

That's it for now!  I'm sure I'll think of some more along the way this year.

4 comments:

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I LOVE skirts and dresses! When I was little, I refused to wear pants and only wore skirts and dresses (with tights in the winter). (I now also love jeans and wear them often.) Granted, I live in LA and wearing skirts here in the winter is a decidedly different experience than you wearing them in 40-degree weather. Major kudos for that!

CallieK said...

I love wearing skirts year round but I always hated pantyhose and tights because of the elastic waistband nonsense. A few years ago I discovered thigh high tights -they are warm and comfortable and now I wear skirts even on the coldest days. The best part is that if I'm too warm I just fold them down into over the knee socks, and I also wear them over, rather than under jeans.

Catherine Weber said...

Liz, I wish I could wear cute wool skirts, fun tights, and boots all the time! Wouldn't work for my job . . . wah.

Finances are my 2012 resolution, too . . . gotta buckle down and pay some stuff off! And save more -- I agree.

Kris said...

When I started my current job a year ago I decided, due to an overabundance of work/professional clothes, that I'd see if I could wear skirts/dresses exclusively. Turns out I've been able to and have found a new love for all manner of socks and tights. There's a great shop here in Portland, Sock Dreams, that has helped feed my love. They have great things and there's never any shipping so if you want to check them out, www.sockdreams.com.